Monday, November 15, 2010

I too know I am fighting for.......

Referring to the Straits Times under Review & Forum on Saturday, November 13 2010 A30. It was basically about this girl Zhong Heng . She recently read an article in Chinese language daily Lianhe Zaobao entitled I Know What I am Fighting For, written in response of a NTU student.

She wrote that she was from China but migrated a few times true her life cause her parents were considering the right country for their children. Her parents were not anything "big", they were just educators. So their family was not exactly rich, wealthy or well to do but just an average, normal family.

What struck me most in this article was that the girls action throughout her 19 years in life, the choices she made, her amusing ways of doing things and HOW she does them were really I would like to consider in life.....haha.

For example, when she went to Singapore and went to school in Primary 1, the first thing she wanted to do was to make friends. How to that? She wanted to be more hardworking and achieve better grades that any other student and be recognised . She not only to get "noticed" by students academically but also in other ways too.

She actually became a traffic warden. So that she could wait with other students that were waiting for their relatives to pick them up. Kind of weird but at the same time quite amusing......hehehaha

What stuck me most in this forum was the last paragraph, let me type it out for you:

Unlike 13 years ago, I no longer fight alone. All around me more and more comrades around my age from different countries , of different nationalities and ethnic groups. Our aim is the same: to shine on the international stage. We never ask what we are fighting for, as it is clearly for ourselves, our country and the family that we live in. As for the issue of old and new immigrants, who cares?

I feel that this is very meaningful as it does not matter if you are from what country or what race, it is the hard work that matters a lot. It is the attitude that matters. Like what Zhong Heng displayed. IMPORTANT.

I also feel that the aim is quite meaningful. " to shine on the international stage ". I feel that we must not only work hard but we must also make sure that all of our hard work must also pay off. So we must all have a aim to work towards to.


1 comment:

  1. What struck me is that she is given a chance to dare to be different...ie her parents just move her to Singapore from China....and she just courageously decided to go out of her way to integrate....amazing....

    ReplyDelete